Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Nobody puts Baby in a corner!


Girlie Night presents DIRTY DANCING
Weds, Feb 9 at Alamo Lake Creek
Get tickets HERE!


When DIRTY DANCING came out in 1987, it changed my life. Partly because I realized that my parents would never take me to a family summer camp, which meant that I would never be able to fall in love with Patrick Swayze in a "Hungry Eyes" montage, which obviously meant that my life was basically ruined.

While that was sort of a short-term impact, the film's more permanent legacy is its role as the mother of all dance movies. As I breathlessly watched Baby and Johnny stun the country club set to the soaring notes of "Time of Your Life," I realized that dance had the power to CHANGE things! Dance could overcome social and racial barriers; it could break down prejudice; it could even transform a really annoying person like Baby into someone awesome!

Thanks to DIRTY DANCING, I came to understand the power of dance, and consequently discovered my favorite genre of film: the dance movie. Baby and Johnny paved the way for future silver screen amalgamations of love on the dance floor; in other words, without DIRTY DANCING, there would be no STEP UP 2: THE STREETS (a horrifying thought, I know).

With such a monumental legacy, DIRTY DANCING deserves our utmost respect, as well as a high amount of romantic mega-sighs. Obviously, there's no better place to celebrate it than Girlie Night, where chair dancing is encouraged and absolutely no one will be put in a corner. (Sarah Pitre)

No comments: