Monday, June 15, 2009

Girlie Night: BEACHES



Girlie Night presents
BEACHES
featuring free tissues for everyone and special prizes from Birds Barbershop
Tuesday, June 16, 7pm at the Alamo Ritz
Advance tickets available here


Whoooooo boy. GET YOUR TISSUES READY, FOLKS. I recommend using water proof mascara before coming to this month's Girlie Night cos it's gonna be a doozy.

When BEACHES came out in 1988, it was an instant Slumber Party Classic. Although it definitely teeters on Lifetime Original Movie territory, the film maintains a sense of dignity, mostly due to the star power of the lovely Barbara Hershey and the Divine Miss Bette Midler (played in flashbacks by Blossom, holla!). But let's be honest, I love this movie because it makes me cry. Oh LORD it makes me cry. Even now, when I hear Wind Beneath My Wings I get a little teary, which is embarrassing, cos it's like crying to that TITANIC song or something. But I can't help it!

BEACHES is about friendship; it's about two women who love each other in spite of a world of differences, who support each other through hard times and bad relationships. It's the kind of movie that leaves you weeping and hugging your best friend while swearing, "If you got cancer, I would never leave you! Even if you lost all of your hair! I would stay with you until the end!! DID I EVER TELL YOU THAT YOU'RE MY HERO?!!" Sigh.

I think this might be the biggest cryfest the Alamo has ever seen (and yes, tissues will be provided). I can't wait to get all weepy with you guys and tell you how much I love you!!!! Best friends 4-EVER!
(Sarah Pitre)

No comments: