Thursday, April 16, 2009

CRANK 2: HIGH VOLTAGE


CRANK 2: HIGH VOLTAGE
Opens Thurs, 4/16, Midnight at the Village
Get your advance tix here

I'm not usually a fan of Stephen King's writing. He always starts out with a cool idea, then let's it descend into the most boring and cliched conclusion possible, and it drives me CRAZY.

Late last year, however, Mr. King wrote the Single Greatest Piece of his entire career within the confines of his regular column for Entertainment Weekly. In his picks for the top ten movies of 2008, he chose not one, but TWO movies starring Jason Statham. Sure, he picked SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE and THE DARK KNIGHT and a lot of other films that the usual critics put on their lists, but he's the only writer I've seen who was smart enough to include both DEATH RACE and THE BANK JOB onto his list.

And he didn't put those movies on his list for their screenplays, or the direction, or any of that nonsense. He just recognizes what Tim and I have known for quite some time now (since CRANK 1, actually): Jason Statham is pure dynamite, packed into a flesh and blood body with the sole purpose of exploding on screen.

Now, don't get me wrong. My love affair with Mr. Statham doesn't blind me to some of his career's... inconsistencies. The weirdo dialogue in TRANSPORTER 3 bored me to tears. But the dissatisfaction I felt for that film only has me more excited for tonight's opening of CRANK 2, because when he has to rub up against an old lady wearing a sweater to create enough static electricity to jump start his heart so he can keep chasing down the bad guys, there won't be any time for that sort of "talking tenderly" to each other bullshit.

I shouldn't have to say anything to really sell you on this movie, though; just take a look at the trailer, which is perfect.

Now watch it again, just for good measure.

And now I'm sure we'll see you at the Village for the stunning 4k digital presentation of the greatest action movie of the summer.

Wanna get really crazy? Bring a 9 volt battery with you. I'm licking mine every time Statham electrocutes himself so I can get the maximum amount of amped up throughout the entire film...
(Henri)

No comments: