Wednesday, August 8, 2007

STARDUST - opens Friday at the Village!


I was fortunate enough to be in the audience at the HALF-ASS-A-THON at the Colorado Street location when STARDUST was screened, so this week is one of those rare occasions where I can recommend a new release movie to you and actually know what I'm talking about. There were some jaded cinephiles in the audience that night who didn't think it was perfect, but I'd been putting together the PRINCESS BRIDE QUOTE-ALONG back then and I think that had me in the perfect frame of mind for STARDUST, because in many ways it really is the heir to the PRINCESS BRIDE throne (after all Cary Elwes looks like this now, so his time as a heartthrob is definitely over). But STARDUST has that same sense of magical escapism and winking good fun, and while it sadly doesn't have Andre the Giant, it does have Ricky Gervais as a shady merchant and Robert DeNiro as a sky pirate that's not unlike the Dread Pirate Roberts. At any rate, when I'm a grandpa I'll totally read the STARDUST graphic novel to Kevin Arnold when he got sick, and then I'll download the movie to my iHologram and watch it again and again.

No comments: